Catoosa Public Library
Library Clerk – Job Description
Under the supervision of the Library Director, this position provides one of the first points of customer contact as they enter the library. In a courteous and friendly manner, this position assists diverse customers issuing and receiving library materials. This position informs customers by phone and in-person of the many services the library provides; assists in locating books and publications; issues library cards; assists customers with various office machines; process new materials and reserves; and various other duties as assigned. This position requires exceptional customer service skills. This is a part-time position not eligible for benefits.
- Checking in and out of library materials.
- Issuing/ renewing library cards.
- Answering telephone calls.
- Aiding library patrons with reference queries.
- Assisting patrons with the location and retrieval of library materials.
- Routine clerical work including typing and filing.
- Repairing damaged library materials.
- Processing new library materials for circulation.
- Maintains order of library materials.
- Collects and records incoming monetary transactions.
- Assists with library displays and signage.
- Assists patrons with computer use.
- Troubleshoots basic computer and office equipment problems.
- Other duties as assigned by the Library Director or Assistant Library Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Some technical knowledge including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows Operating System, Internet research, posting to social media and utilizing email.
- Have the initiative to seek out library needs and help to resolve them.
- Establishes, maintains, and fosters positive and harmonious working relationships with colleagues.
While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is frequently required to sit or stand for extended periods of time, squat, use hands and arms, speak and hear, and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
Qualifications High school diploma or GED required. Six months of public library experience is preferred. Public contact experience, knowledge of circulation systems, general office/library procedures, practices and ability to operate computers. Any combination of education, training and experience, which produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities, may be accepted.